Labrador Forum
Woman hangs dog - Printable Version

+- Labrador Forum (http://lab-lovers.com)
+-- Forum: Off topic (/Forum-Off-topic)
+--- Forum: Dog Chat (/Forum-Dog-Chat)
+--- Thread: Woman hangs dog (/Thread-Woman-hangs-dog)

Pages: 1 2

Woman hangs dog - Andy - 26-01-2011 10:46 AM

Woman hangs dog for chewing on Bible

A woman in the US state of South Carolina has been charged with animal cruelty after confessing to hanging a dog for chewing on her Bible, claiming God told her to do it.

Spartanburg County animal control officers say Miriam Fowler Smith confessed to hanging the pit bull from a tree using an extension cord and then setting it on fire, describing it as a "devil dog", according to a report by 7 On Your Side News.

She told police officers she killed the dog after it chewed on her Bible and that she was afraid it would bite children in the neighbourhood.

The dog, named Diamond, belonged to Smith's nephew who noticed it was missing when he returned home.

He told police he thought the dog had run away, but when he questioned his aunt she admitted to killing it.

The 65-year-old is facing five years in jail if she is convicted.
source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/26/3122193.htm?section=world

I was disgusted when i read this

RE: Woman hangs dog - Gallitin - 26-01-2011 02:56 PM

Need to put the owner down.

RE: Woman hangs dog - Andy - 26-01-2011 04:56 PM

The owners aunt that killed the dog needs putting down

RE: Woman hangs dog - Gallitin - 26-01-2011 07:11 PM

Ah yeah, that's what I mean, I misread.

RE: Woman hangs dog - ZonkDonkey - 26-01-2011 08:13 PM

Wow... Some peoples kids...

RE: Woman hangs dog - DelDrago - 20-02-2011 04:44 AM

It's sounds as if this woman is mentally ill. Still, she is responsible for the tremendous cruelty that she has inflicted.

What would be a just punishment for such a crime? Incarceration? Several years of hard labor?

Or perhaps a multimillion dollar contract with an NFL team? Google "Michael Vick" to see what I'm talking about.

RE: Woman hangs dog - Thomas - 16-03-2011 10:24 PM

Although persoanlly i do not value the life of a dog as much as i would a human (Not that i am mean and don't like dogs: Its just the way i feel. I mean if dog's life are as valuble as humans? Why not Cows? So why eat meat? But that is a whole different situation.

Personally, I would put a ban on her form owning any animals as 'pets' as well as being treated for medical disabilites.

What makes this issue interesting though is:
Quote: for chewing on her Bible
Because of this, Any actions that happens to her would be escalated because of this religious factor.
Devil dog to me, If someone asks me, means not a bibical sence the devil possessing the dog, but to her, I think it is.

Religion could throw this case into so much black tape she might be able to drop all charges.

RE: Woman hangs dog - Andy - 16-03-2011 11:27 PM

But even so that would be like killing a dog for chewing up the carpet, most would not do it, it still boils down to animal cruelty, which ever way you look at it.

RE: Woman hangs dog - Thomas - 17-03-2011 12:45 AM

It is, and I would never try and stop that.

But if she said something along the lines of:
Quote:Due to my religious belief, I was in the utmost presence of a devil dog. Doing the morally right thing, I had to expel it.

If i am going to have to punish for my religious belief then i shall, But it is not the country we live in

RE: Woman hangs dog - Dante - 28-03-2011 04:39 PM

Due to the fact that people can't be prosecuted for their religious beliefs this sick woman is going to get well away with this and will probably get a huge media apology! Just like the woman who binned her neighbours cat, with the sad state of the world today playing the race/religion card gets you away with anything.